Skip to content

Frequently used terms

Parent(s): the person legally caring for a migratory student; could be a guardian
Child/children: youth aged 0-21 who have not graduated from high school or earned a HSE certificate
Student: youth enrolled in a public school in Texas
If you see this icon,   it means that the service or resource described is provided by the MEP and only available to migratory students.

When a student needs adult support at school, parents can be one of their child’s most important advocates. As an advocate, you support your child and speak on their behalf in situations where they may not be prepared to speak for themselves.

To develop strong advocacy skills and support your child, you can do any of the following:

Learn the school’s rules, practices, and policies.

  • The rules and policies can be found in the student handbook. Please reach out to the school staff for information on how to access a copy of the student handbook. School practices are learned over time by speaking to the MEP staff, other school staff, and even other parents.

Attend school events offered through your child’s school, like Open House, Meet the Teacher, and family nights.

  • These events are excellent opportunities to meet teachers and administrators at your child’s school and build relationships with them.
  • They also provide an opportunity to build your capacity to support your child.

Volunteer in your child’s classroom and/or the Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) at the school.

  • A parent will learn what is happening in the school and in their child’s classroom by helping out with different activities or assisting the teacher. In most cases, the teacher is the best person to talk to about ways to volunteer.

Attend and participate in the MEP local and state Parent Advisory Council (PAC).

  • This counsel is made up of parents, MEP staff, and teachers. It can teach parents how to take part in the decision-making process and how to function as an advocate.

Serve on district/school committees, such as the MEP Local Needs Assessment Committee (LNAC).

  • This committee includes MEP staff, administrators, and parents, and it will provide an opportunity for you to learn about the specific needs of migrant students and families and to become part of the decision-making process to address those identified needs.

Contact the MEP staff for information about specific parent training sessions available in the district.

  • Many districts offer specific training sessions for parents on a variety of topics, such as parenting skills, assisting the child with homework, financing college, and more.

Learn about instructional services provided by your child’s school district, including those that the MEP may provide. Contact the MEP recruiter or other MEP staff for specific instructions on how to access these services for which your child may qualify. Some examples of instructional services include

  • A Bright Beginning early literacy program
  • Tutorial programs
  • Project SMART summer math program
  • Test preparation
  • Training on using tools and resources for math and reading
  • Tools for homework assistance

Learn about support services provided by your child’s school district, including those that the MEP may provide. For specific instructions on how to access these services for which your child may qualify, contact the MEP recruiter or other MEP staff. Some examples of support services include

  • Clothing (community agencies that help provide clothing)
  • Health, dental, eye care (Local community agencies and organizations that provide free eyeglasses, e.g., the Lions Club)
  • Nutrition (Snacks provided in tutorials and after- school programs; community agencies that help with food)
  • School supplies
  • Transportation

Speak to the MEP recruiter or other MEP staff to learn about how to access services and how to advocate for your child while traveling to other cities across the state or to different states.

  • The TMIP can also be contacted for assistance before and while traveling to work within the state and any other state in the US.

Read information about parenting skills and activities to do with your child, and share the information you learned with other parents. There are many sources where a parent can access this kind of information, such as

  • Parents and Families quarterly newsletter : This newsletter provides resources for parents and families to engage with their child at home and school.
  • Colorin Colorado: Many different suggestions and tips for parents are provided on this website that may be accessed in English, Spanish, and many other languages.
  • The Child Mind Institute: This website provides information to parents in English and Spanish to help transform the lives of children and families struggling with mental health and learning disorders.

Contact your MEP for more information on how you can advocate for your child.
Visit the Resources Section for more Parents and Family Advocacy resources.