Skip to content

If your child is interested in a professional career that requires at least a four-year degree, such as becoming a teacher, pharmacist, or accountant, they will want to explore the options available at universities. Depending on the career path your child chooses, they will obtain a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree. A bachelor’s degree usually requires four or more years of study. A master’s degree will require an additional two to three years after a bachelor’s degree is earned. A doctoral degree requires three years or more, depending on the chosen field of study after the bachelor’s and master’s degree programs.

All universities have different enrollment standards, but some of the basic requirements needed for enrollment to many universities include the following:

  •  High school transcript or HSE degree, formerly called a GED. Transcripts show the grade for each class taken by the student and the overall grade- point average.
  •  Standardized test scores for the ACT or SAT. Migratory students may receive up to two fee waivers for each college entrance exam. Visit the College Board website for information regarding SAT fee waivers; Spanish version of SAT fee waivers ; and ACT website for ACT fee waivers (English only).
  •  The TSI Assessment measures a students readiness for college-level work. The results of this assessment are used to determine course placement.
  •  College application forms. There are 2 broadly accepted applications. For colleges and universities located in Texas, the Apply Texas Application may be used. Visit Apply Texas for more information. Many colleges and universities also accept the online Common Application. Visit Common College Application (English only) for help in completing this application.
  •  Fees. Most colleges require an application fee, but migratory students may receive fee waivers for four colleges. This means your child will not have to pay the application fee.
  •  Letters of recommendation. These letters may be written by one of your child’s high school teachers, a counselor, an adviser, or someone who can speak highly of his or her achievement and character.
  •  Interview. Universities may require an interview with school officials or alumni.
  •  List of extracurricular activities and/or an essay. 3

Migratory students who have received a high school diploma or its equivalent may enroll in a higher education institution and may receive financial assistance to pay for part of their degree program through the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP)

How can my family learn more about CAMP?

  •  An MEP counselor or staff member can arrange college visits to various universities, especially to the institutions of higher education that offer the CAMP.
  •  The MEP recruiter or staff member can also schedule a CAMP recruiter to visit the high schools to facilitate the application process for senior students.

Which universities and colleges offer a CAMP program?

A list of universities offering the CAMP program each year can be found on the CAMP Projects page. Each CAMP offers different financial aid options and may have different requirements. Visit the website linked under each CAMP project for specific requirements, deadlines for application, and instructions.

There are many different degree programs available at a university level, and it is best to have your child speak to a high school counselor and/or college adviser for help in narrowing down the field of interest. Many districts have a college and career center that may also be helpful to your child.

For more information on universities in Texas, visit 2023 Best Colleges in Texas (English only).

Helpful websites:

  • (English only) : This website explains career options and helps students find a school and select a degree program that’s most suitable for them.
  •   TMEP Parents and Families Portal : Get information and resources related to the migratory family lifestyle. You will find information about elementary education; support for emergent bilinguals getting academic, financial, and personal support in college; finding scholarship opportunities; and more.
  •  College For All Texans (English only) : This website explains the steps to go to college. On the site, choose whether you are a student, a member of the military, or an adult learner. You can learn how to plan for college, how to apply, how to get financial aid, and other helpful information.
  •  Generation Texas : Connect with other students who want to learn how to go to college or pursue career education. Learn what classes and tests to take in high school as well as how to apply to colleges and get financial aid.
  •  Texas OnCourse : What should students do after high school? Students as young as middle school-age can use this website to find out more about attending college or selecting a career path. Learn about jobs, college planning and how to apply, financial opportunities, and high school graduation requirements.

3 “What are Typical University Requirements for Enrollment?”, accessed January 24, 2022,