Skip to content

Financial aid is money a student can use to pay for college or a vocational school. There are many kinds of financial aid, including student loans, scholarships, and grants. Loans must be paid back with interest. Grant and scholarship money is free and does not need to be paid back. Visit the College for All Texans (English Only) home page for more information on the types of financial aid available.

The first step in the process to apply for federal financial aid is to complete the FAFSA form. Information about completing the form is available in Spanish by clicking Español in the top right corner of the web page.

Texas students without legal status may complete the TASFA. The TASFA web page is only available in English, but instructions and the application are also available in Spanish.

  • FAFSA : Nationwide; dependent upon a student’s immigration status
  • TASFA (English only) : Texas only; not dependent upon a student’s immigration status

In the application, a student will list the colleges or vocational schools they would like to attend. These institutions will use student FAFSA or TASFA data to determine the federal aid eligibility. Many states and colleges also use FAFSA or TASFA data to award their own aid. The institutions listed on the application will send a notice of the eligibility and amount of aid a student can receive toward tuition, fees, and books.

A student must meet with a financial aid officer from the college or vocational school and enroll after accepting the financial aid.

The best source of information about financial aid opportunities is a high school counselor or a college and career center in your child’s school.

A scholarship is money awarded free, so it does not have to be paid back.

There are many scholarships available to students, but it can be challenging to figure out which ones are appropriate for your child and how to apply. The best source of helpful information is a high school counselor or a college and career center in your child’s school. The MEP recruiter or staff may also provide valuable information to help you search for scholarships.

There are also scholarship and recognition opportunities specifically for migratory students. For eligibility requirements and applications, visit Recognition and Scholarship Opportunities for Migratory Students on the TMEP Portal.

Gather all necessary documents (for example high school transcripts, standardized test scores, income tax forms, community service logs, résumé, essays, letters of recommendation, and other important information)

Take college entrance exams (ACT [English only] and/or SAT [English only])

Complete the financial aid application (FAFSA and/or TASFA[English only])

Complete college applications 
(Common College Application 
[English only])

Complete scholarship applications

Visit the Resources section for a list of available statewide resources for migratory families.